Welcome to Azerbaijan
Important Facts About Azerbaijan:
- Azerbaijan is located in the South Caucasus region of Eurasia, at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Western Asia.
- The capital city of Azerbaijan is Baku.
- The official language is Azerbaijani.
- Azerbaijan gained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.
- The country is known for its rich oil reserves and is often referred to as the "Land of Fire" due to its natural gas vents.
- Azerbaijan is a secular state with a predominantly Muslim population.
Famous Cities of Azerbaijan:
- Baku (the capital)
- Azerbaijani culture is a blend of Eastern and Western influences due to its location.
- The country has a rich musical heritage, including the traditional Mugham music.
- Azerbaijani cuisine is known for dishes like kebabs, plov (pilaf), and dolma.
- Traditional dances, such as the Yalli and Lezginka, are an integral part of Azerbaijani culture.
- Azerbaijani (Azeri) is the official language.
- Russian is also widely spoken, especially in urban areas.
- Islam is the predominant religion in Azerbaijan, with the majority of the population being Shia Muslims.
- There is also a small Christian and Jewish minority in the country.
- Azerbaijan has a diverse climate, with a mix of subtropical and continental influences.
- Coastal areas along the Caspian Sea have a mild, humid climate.
- Inland regions experience hot summers and cold winters.
Azerbaijani cuisine features dishes like kebabs (shashlik), plov (rice pilaf), dolma (stuffed vegetables), and various bread, including lavash and tandir.
Traditional Arts & Handicrafts:
- Azerbaijani artisans produce traditional crafts such as carpets, ceramics, and copperware.
- Azerbaijani carpets, in particular, are famous for their intricate designs and are recognized as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Azerbaijan Visa: E visa is available
- The eVisa is a single entry visa valid for 90 days. You can stay in Azerbaijan for a maximum of 30 days. Lastly, the visa issued by the embassy is generally valid for a longer period of time. If you're going to stay longer than 15 days, you must register with the State Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Azerbaijan eVisa cost: USD 26
- The online visa application takes 3 business days.
How to get to Azerbaijan:
- You can access Azerbaijan by air through Baku Heydar Aliyev International Airport and other international airports.
- Overland travel is possible from neighboring countries.
Baku Heydar Aliyev International Airport (GYD) in Baku is the largest and busiest airport in Azerbaijan.
There are several other international airports in the country, including Ganja International Airport and Nakhchivan International Airport.